Amazon Ad

Saturday, October 16, 2004

I'm still "wrestling" with the Queen Elizabeth class

Something about the Queen Elizabeth class battleships is challenging. It didn't work at all in Rick Robinson's "Spring Style" program (at least the way I specified it). In my program, I'm having trouble getting a large enough metacentric height (GM) at the legend displacement. The deep load is better, but still lower than the real ships. One good thing is that I have a more complete weight and stability model than I did, even earlier today. I have yet to deal with volumes and seakeeping ability, but that is coming soon. As it stands right now, I am getting the following results:

  • Legend displacement of 29,625.5 tons with a GM of 4.54955 ft
  • Deep load displacement of 32,234.7 tons with a GM of 5.66306 ft
  • The real ship figures were:
  • Normal displacement of 30,030 tons with a GM of 5ft
  • Deep load displacement of 33,260 tons with a GM of 6.5ft
  • This is actually not so bad, although the question will be how it affects my light battlecruiser design that has a low center of gravity. I may need to see how I can raise weights in it to raise the center of gravity, so that the GM is not so outrageously high.

    No comments:

    Amazon Context Links