Amazon Ad

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

My 1905 German battleship design (circa 1971)

Part of my building program for the "planning" wargame that I did with my friend Cliff in 1971 was a German battleship design for1905. My building program contemplated three ships for 1905. They were 22,000 tons legend displacement. The dimensions were: 580ft x 90ft x 26.6ft. The speed was rather high: 23 knots. The armament was 8-12in/45 and 12-4in/50 QF (anti-torpedo armament). The armor was planned to have a 10in belt. In 1906, I would have built a fourth vessel, to the identical design. The appearance was distinctive, and more closely resembled a later British ship than a German ship. There were three funnels, a long forecastle, superfiring turrets, a large conning tower with a small "torpedo" conning tower aft. Reviewing my notes, I see that I had revised the armor plan. The lower belt was 11in at the top and 9in on the lower side, so it was tapered. The upper deck side was 8in at the bottom and 6in at the top. The slopes, backing the lower belt, were 3in. There was a 2in anti-torpedo bulkhead. At the time, I was into heavy protection for the uptakes, so above the belt, it was 8in. Behind the upper deck side, it was reduced to 6in. The deck armor was pieced, so that at a particular level, there were varying thicknesses. The maximum was 3in HT steel. The boiler room was the width of the ship, to reduce the chance of capsizing, while accepting the increased flooding risk. The anti-torpedo battery were in casemates. There were three forward and three aft, on each side, at the forecastle level. That way, there was little risk of spray problems. I included a tripod foremast and a top, forward. The mainmast was just a post, with a crane for handling boats. There was a light topmast for signaling.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links