Amazon Ad

Monday, June 28, 2004

I think a Dreadnought cruiser would have been what John Paul Jones would have wanted if they had existed

John Paul Jones was one of those naval officers with a way with words. The usual quote of his: "Give me a fast ship for I intend to go in harms way" is apparently not correct. Still, it has a good ring to it. I imagine that he would have liked a Dreadnought cruiser, if he could have had one. It will outrun anything that could potentially destroy it, and could run down any lesser ship, if the seas were at all rough. Just because a destroyer or light cruiser might have a trial speed considerably in excess, once a substantial sea is running, that speed advantage vanishes. I still like my 1923 fast battlecruiser design that would be able to make 36 knots (at a great cost) and would carry 9-14inch guns. Frank Fox agreed that it was a good cruiser killer, although he thought something less would work as well.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links