Amazon Ad

Monday, June 21, 2004

My concept of a "Super Swift"

In 1971, I designed a "Super Swift" scout for the Germans, in my building program for the Germans. A friend designed the building program for the British. I designed both sets of ships, but at my friend's direction for the British.

I saw a "Super Swift" being about 2,350 tons displancement (legend) and 370ft long. I gave the design an armament of 5-4in QF. In 1971, I didn't bother with using authentic German calibers. Not only did the German and British ships look like they came out of the same shipyard, but they used the same guns.

In my "Super Swift", I allocated a patch of 2in side armor over the machinery spaces. The speed was planned as 36 knots. There were also 2-18in torpedo tubes, one on each side, in deck mounts, and there were three funnels. Presumably, there would also have been mine rails aft.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links