Amazon Ad

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Cruiser design patterns

I think that high-freeboard, flush-decked cruisers are a good design pattern. I have typically included at least a small transom stern, as well. The bow should have some flare and should be 5-10 ft above the amidships freeboard. The stern should be at least 2-3 ft above the amidships freeboard. I would only follow that pattern for larger cruisers. For smaller cruisers, I would either have a raised forecastle or at least a low stern and a fairly high, flared bow, even if the ship were flush-decked. An example would be the Atlanta class ships. For the larger ships, I would use triple turrets, usually 9 guns in three turrets. For ships with guns smaller than 8in, I would have at least 12, if not 15 guns in triple turrets, similar to the Brooklyn class and the original Mogami class design.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links