Amazon Ad

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

I am making progress on the Propulsion Calculations program

I have a new design for a ship propulsion calculation program, and I am moving along with it. I have all the Schoenherr resistance values entered in a table, and am working on entering data for residual resistance calculations. The calculations are straight forward, once you have the tables. I will just take the calculations from my Excel spreadsheet as the basis. I know for sure that they are correct. Admittedly, this is all "obsolete technology", in that in industry, they use a system involving interpolation from a database of known ship performance. Still, for ordinary people (admittedly amateurs), this works. Frank Fox had shown me how to do the calculations, and I implemented that in an Excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet still required me to look up values from Gertler's book, A Reanalysis of the Original Test Data for the Taylor Standard Series. For the residual resistance data, I use the 1943 edition of The Speed and Power of Ships. The data is in the form of graphs, from which it is necessary to estimate the values.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links