Amazon Ad

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

My program for calculating power curves for ships

I decided that since data entry was a roadblock to finishing this program, I will reduce the amount of data to be entered. At least as an interim measure, I will use data for Speed-Length Ratios for whole tenths (0.3, 0.4, 0.5,...,2.5), Displacement Length Ratios in increments of 40 (20, 60, 100, ..., 420), and prismatic coefficients in increments of 0.04 (0.50, 0.54, 0.58, ..., 0.70).
That greatly reduces the data entry problem. I will still need to draw graphs to extend what is in The Speed and Power of Ships beyond what is found in graphs. For example, Speed Length Ratios only go to 2.0 and Displacement Length Ratios terminate anywhere from 60 to 250.
There are some ships which are on the margins (such as 1860's ironclads), but for which I would still like to be able to generate power curves, hence the need to extend the range of coverage.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links