Amazon Ad

Sunday, August 22, 2004

I have been an admirer of fast scout cruisers

When I first saw the Italian scouts that resembled large destroyers, I liked what I saw. In 1971, I needed to add faster scouts to my building program, I went with this sort of vessel. My design was for a 2,100 ton destroyer-like ship, with the following specs:
  • legend displacement: 2,100 tons
  • LWL=350ft
  • B=37ft
  • d=-12ft
  • Cp=0.5564
  • Cm=0.85
  • V=36 knots
  • SHP=45,000
  • Armament: 4-5in/50 and 2-21in TT
The would have been built as part of my 1909 program as S-1 to S-7, and would have had three funnels, with the first one raised. The forecastle was raised, and stepped just forward of the first funnel. The 5in guns were arranged on the center line with one on the forecastle, one between the second and third funnels, and two in line on the quarterdeck.
The cost would have been about £ 245,205 each. We used the British pound as our standard measure for cost, so that we could directly compare expenditures.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links