Amazon Ad

Saturday, November 20, 2004

The Atlanta class cruisers (CL-51)

I have been experimenting with testing designs based on real ships to see how they compare with what is computed. Earlier today, I tried the Atlanta class cruiser, and found the phenomenon that Frank Fox had told me about. For the Atlanta class to reach their measured speed at a given SHP, their propulsion efficiency would need to be adjusted. Thanks to Friedman's book about American cruisers, I have the real coefficients (Cp and Cm), as well as accurate dimensions. There are also figures about speeds, displacements, and power. I found that to reach the correct speed, that the propulsion efficiency needed to be adjusted to 0.53. For those who are interested, the coefficients are: Cp=0.603 and Cm=0.832. Those are destroyer-like figures, from my experience.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links