Amazon Ad

Saturday, November 06, 2004

A fast, 1921-style heavy cruiser

After having finished my first cut at a faster 1921-style light cruiser (37 knots), I decided to do a fast heavy cruiser design with 9-8in/50 guns. I used Rick Robinson's "Big Gun" program to aid my gun design effort. It would have been nice if his program would estimate the weight of the piece, but it doesn't. I use a formula: D^3 x Length in Calibers / Constant to determine the weight in tons. The only reasonable thing to do is to look at example guns to determine the constant. I used 1365.33 as the constant. I derived that from the 7.5in/50 gun (for better or worse). The idea is to have a heavy cruiser that is capable of more than 35 knots at normal load, carries 9-8in/50 guns, and has a 10,000 mile maximum cruising range at 15 knots. The speed at deep load is about 34.4 knots (at 15, 337 tons).

No comments:

Amazon Context Links