Amazon Ad

Friday, November 26, 2004

I find myself very gullible with respect to ship speeds

I find that I can be very enthusiastic about the prospect of high speeds, especially as reported in Jane's Fighting Ships and the Warship periodical. A long time ago, and not being very knowledgable about the issues, I had believed that the Atlanta could have reached 40 knots no trials. I now know that she was lucky to reach 32 knots. Other high speeds that we shouldn't have believed were for the destroyer leader Swift (1905) and the Renown and Repulse in 1918. The Renown and Repulse, when light could reach 32 knots, but something like 40 knots was a ridiculous claim. As I have written in the past, I was taken in by the 43 knots claim for a Capitani Romani-class light cruiser in 1943. Frank Fox had warned me against the idea, but I had to actually do the calculations for myself. Quite quickly, I saw that at a normal displacement, in service, even 41 knots would probably have been beyond reach.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links