Amazon Ad

Sunday, September 12, 2004

My variant of the light battlecruiser

I'm not the creator, but I did help develop the idea for a light battlecruiser that sacrificed gunpower for speed. Armor was secondary to speed, and then gunpower. My friend Cliff's original concept was for a 32 knot ship with 4-12in/45 and 9-6in guns. He thought that we could economize and use 9-6in/50 instead of 10-6in/50, so that one was on the centerline, superfiring the aft 12inch turret. The next refinement was to add 12in/50 guns for the next pair. Finally, after a hiatus, there were to be four with 4-13.5in/45 guns. My superfast version designed about 1973 with 17in/45 guns was an attempt to take the concept to the extreme. I wanted more weight to devote to power, so I reduced the hull depth, thinking that I would be able to then reduce hull weight. That ignores the loss in strength, but there was little increase in length, so it didn't seem that much of an issue. As soon as I can run my power calculation program, I want to generate a power curve for the "super fast" ship, as well as the other light battlecruiser classes. How they do is greatly dependent on the weight basis for the power plant (SHP per ton of machinery).

No comments:

Amazon Context Links