Amazon Ad

Friday, April 29, 2005

Actually, the Super Lion was Admiral Fisher's idea

Winston Churchill published correspondence with Admiral Fisher about ship design in Vol.I of The World Crisis, in The Romance of Design chapter, as I have previously written. It was in a letter to Churchill that Admiral Fisher advocated the "Super Lion", with a 30 knot speed and 10-"Improved Guns" (codeword for the 15in gun that Churchill wanted to develop). The idea for the Super Lion was not pursued, despite Admiral Fisher's advocacy, but I have long been interested. That is what has prompted various attempts at designing such a ship. The last Springsharp design and the accompanying photo is my latest work. I may make an alternative photo with Tiger-like funnels, as well.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links