Amazon Ad

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

The 29,000 ton battleship design

Thanks to Blogger, I just lost what I had written about testing my Warship General Design computer program. The 29,000 ton battleship design seemed like a good test case for the program. There was the drawback that I did not have as much information that I would have liked from 30 years ago. I just had the basics, and would have to augment that in the ship specification. This is the basic specifications as originally conceived:

  • 29,000 tons displacement at normal load
  • dimensions: 620ft x 95ft x 30.2ft
  • Cp=0.59
  • Cm=0.97
  • Armament: 6-13.5in/45 and 10-6in/50
  • Machinery: 40,000 SHP

I found out quickly that I needed to decrease the Cp. I decided to go with 0.54, although lower would have given a higher speed. That alone raised the maximum speed to over 23 knots. I also found out that I needed to raise weights to decrease the metacentric height (GM). The ship is basically short and wide, so that inherently implies a high GM. I decreased the lower belt to 13in and increased the upper deck to 5in. I also included "upper deck side" armor. That lowered the GM at normal load to 4.92ft and at deep load to 6.77ft. The latter is still almost too large, but that is what seems reasonable.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links