Amazon Ad

Friday, October 22, 2004

I have looked at Greg Locock's DreadCAD Excel spreadsheet

I had seen Greg Locock's DreadCAD spreadsheet about 3-1/2 weeks ago, but only looked at it more seriously, yesterday. My "response" to seeing it is to consider writing a program to generate lines for ships using Taylor's Standard Series. Basically, there is a family of curves of cross-sectional areas, there are cross sections of known area, and we could programmatically interpolate new, evenly spaced cross sections and generate a spreadsheet, which we could use to draw the lines for printing. I will need to assess the best was to viewable lines, but having the lines described as points will allow us to apply Simpson's Rule to the lines to do various calculations. I like Greg's approach, because he got me to rethinking what could be done programmatically.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links