Amazon Ad

Monday, October 04, 2004

Warship General Design program status

The power calculations component now seems to be working quite well. I can do interpolation to give the fractional speed for a whole number designed power in SHP. I should be able to do the reverse, as well, to compute the exact power for a whole number speed in knots. I am now working on the weight calculations. I am computing a legend displacement and deep load displacement. I expect to do the Washington Naval Treaty "Standard Displacement as well. As of now, I am intending to do some stability calculations as well as dealing with volumes. I believe that I have strength covered, in the sense that I know what I call a "weight basis" is for real ships. If you build a battleship hull and the hull weight is 0.003 x length x beam x depth, you will have a pretty satisfactory result. That is actually more than is needed for shorter, deeper ships. Here are some example weight bases:
  • Invincible: 0.002902 girder: 11.8
  • Courageous: 0.00265 girder: 15.4
  • Repulse: 0.00308 girder: 16.2
  • Lion: 0.002975 girder: 13.2
  • Queen Elizabeth: 0.00285 girder: 11.8

No comments:

Amazon Context Links