Amazon Ad

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Hull strength

Frank Fox told me that he believed that a ship that has a length-to-depth ratio of 16 or under will have a normal weight structure. I noticed that the Renown, as built, had a length-to-depth ratio of about 16.2. My estimate of the weight basis for the hull is 3.084357 x 10^-3. Compare that with the Lion which had a length-to-depth ratio of about 13.2. I estimate that the weight basis for the Lion's hull was about 2.957 x 10^-3. Perhaps we could use the curve fitting tool to generate a function for computing hull weight basis. I doubt that it is that simple, as I suspect that light cruisers and destroyers might have a smaller weight basis (my term).

The Acasta (K-class) had a length-to-depth ratio of about 15.9. The weight basis was about 3.02x10^-3. I was amazed that this metric would be so consistent. I had trouble finding a destroyer for which I had a hull weight to do this calculation.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links