Amazon Ad

Monday, January 29, 2007

One of my favorite books: Dr. Oscar Parkes' book British Battleships

I am a fan of Fred Jane and his early books, such as the All the World's Fighting Ships from the early years (although not the 1898 volume). Dr. Oscar Parkes' book, British Battleships is one of my favorite books, as I see that he followed closely in Jane's tradition. Dr. Parkes, like Fred Jane, was a good artist and his pen and ink drawings in British Battleships are a pleasure to behold. While British Battleships needs to be supplemented with more modern works, such as David Brown's Warrior to Dreadnought: Warship Development, 1860-1905, Dr. Parkes' book has a wealth of little-known "trivia" from the 1860's on to the early 1900's. Dr. Parkes also has a very nice painting of the G3 battlecruiser design, seemingly the final version, that answers some questions that I could not resolve from David Brown's reproduction of the plan view. I have had my copy of both books out in the last two weeks, collecting grist for Springsharp designs.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links