Amazon Ad

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Two issues with Springsharp

In trying the British battlecruiser design studies with reciprocating engines and coal-fired boilers, I noticed that Springsharp attributed heavier machinery weight to the reciprocating engines than was actually the case. I also have already noted that Springsharp required over 50,000 ihp to reach 25.5 knots, while the actual design studies were just over 40,000 ihp. I suspect that part of the reason is that my Springsharp designs were heavy, in order to achieve adequate hull strength. I let the weights given by John Roberts drive what I was trying to achieve in Springsharp. Because of the higher power requirements, that meant that I needed lighter machinery to have near the specified machinery weight of about 3,500 tons.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links