Amazon Ad

Sunday, May 01, 2005

A different sort of picture: a GIMPed picture that looks like a photo of the Repulse in 1916

John Roberts, the author of Battlecruisers, has an original photo of the Repulse shortly after completion in 1916. This is a heavily processed picture that attempts to look like a photo of the Repulse, although it is all digital processing, using the Gimp (Gnu Image Manipulation Program). I have not done anything that so heavily relied upon Gimp as this. The others that I have done have involved a mixture of MS Paint and Gimp, with most of the cutting and pasting being done in Paint. I also use Paint for drawing lines. I have usually just used the Gimp for cloning, to remove editing artifacts, and to make smooth transitions. I also use Corel Photopaint 8 for printing and changing contrast, brightness, and intensity.

You can see that the result looks something like an old photograph, although if you could view the higher-resolution image by zooming larger, you would see some of how this is done. When you do that, you would see that what is there is essentially a painting, albeit, a fairly accurate one. I started to say that the photo almost looks like a pointellist painting. I would say, instead that the high-res photoart piece looks like an impressionist painting. Sadly, only a lower-res picture can be easily put on the web, so it is too reduced for you to be able to see the painting look. The high resolution image is 866KB. I don't want to burn that much space in one shot on Graphic-Artist-2.com, where all my images are stored.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links