Amazon Ad

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

My only doubt about my armored cruiser design is if there is sufficient volume for machinery

My GB/CB/1912 design is relatively long and narrow, and has the 6-twin 9.2in turrets taking up space. There is likely to be enough boiler room space, but my concern is if there is sufficient space for engines. Springsharp thinks that there is enough space, so perhaps I am safe. This design requires quite high power output machinery that is light, and therefore compact. Oddly enough, even transcending technology, there is an inverse relationship between SHP/ton and machinery volume. The higher the power per ton of machinery, the less volume that is needed. I have analyzed this from about 1905 on to 1945, and it seems to hold true. My Warship General Design program uses this in calculating boiler and engine room volumes.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links