Amazon Ad

Saturday, May 21, 2005

The fast British battleship design for 1906

I now have a drawing that seems more or less like what a fast battleship for 1906 might look like. The GB/BB/1906 Fast design is 590ft long, carries 8-12in/45 BLR and 16-4in QF guns and has a 1oin armor basis. The speed is the same as that planned for the Invincibles, being 25 knots. I realized that Colonel Cuniberti's Ideal Battleship for the British navy was another example of an early fast battleship design.

I don't have a drawing to this scale for Colonel Cuniberti's battleship, but this is the photo that I like the best:

Colonel Cuniberti's fast battleship was intended to make 24 knots and to make the design work, I had to sacrifice armor to achieve his desired gunpower. I also had to let the design grow quite large. The recoil and stability issues required it.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links