Amazon Ad

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

There was still a need for ocean-going cruisers after 1905

While I agree with much of what Admiral Fisher believed about battlecruisers and speed, I believe that there was still a need to replace William H. White's cruisers for overseas service. I'm talking about ships like the Highflyer and Challenger, particularly. The lesser ships, such as the Pelorus, were pretty much useless. The large German light cruisers, once they were upgunned to 15cm guns were quite suitable, although they were still rather small. Almost certainly, there was a need for a British 6in-gunned cruiser to be produced in quantity. The closes thing to what was needed where the Chathams, and they were too slow and had an antiquated armament layout. I also still like the fast armored cruiser, such as my 30-knot 650ft long armored cruiser design GB/CA/1912. The 9.2in gun was quite good and could fire rapidly enough to beat the lesser guns.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links