Amazon Ad

Monday, June 27, 2005

I am doing a new version of my program to just do powercurve calculations

I am doing some Springsharp work for a friend, and I thought it time that I updated my program for doing just power curve calculations. It seemed like a good idea to be able to compare that with what Springsharp produces. I removed all the other calculations from this version. A requirement for this version is to be able to work with hull forms that have bulges that extend beyond the waterline beam measurement. I am still getting used to the idea that a midship coefficient can be greater than 1.0, but it is true. I had led a sheltered life and only read more general books. I have probably already mentioned this, but I used to think that a midship coefficient was always less than 1.0 and that the box for which the coefficients are calculated would be bounded by the maximum beam, at or below the waterline. That way, you would multiply the displacement in tons by 35 cubic feet per ton of seawater. That gives a volume. Divide that by the length, maximum beam, the prismatic coefficient, and the midship coefficient, and you have the calculated draft. In the new age calculation, with a midship coefficient that is potentially greater than 1.0, then things seem not to be that simple.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links