Amazon Ad

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The ships that I have been posting about are from a particular scenario

Back a long time ago, my friend Cliff and I played an extended game of planning warship building programs for Great Britain and Germany, for a purely seawar to kick off about August 1914 (not very imaginative). We went from a standing start, with nothing built, in 1905, and planned as far as 1916. There were many design studies done, as well as you could without computers or calculators, even. The approach was to use ship powering data and weight distributions from books as a basis for design. We went pretty far wrong with ship power calculations, although the more moderate ones, where we had example ships, were not that terrible. I started to do more useful calculations in 2001 , using Excel spreadsheets, and using Frank Fox's method for power calculations, based on Taylor's The Speed and Power of Ships, and Morton Gertler's book. I am using that system in my Warship General Design program. The eventual goal, however unrealistic it is, is to be able to design ships, construct 3D models, and use them in naval war campaign games to test the designs. I think that is a worth goal, if hard to achieve.

No comments:

Amazon Context Links